In this Post: Several advent ideas (activities, food, and random acts of kindness). Also links to help you start your own advent fun! 🙂 Please come hang out.
*Note: Advent is a countdown to Christmas and for Christians it is a time to remember Christ’ birth and to look forward to his second coming (advent). The wreathe and candles have special meanings. A Jesse tree helps tell the story of Jesus’ family tree while counting down to Christmas.
Hello dear ones! I hope you’re having a lovely holiday. I hope this holiday will be less stressful than the one before and that my family will learn to give and be content. So this year we decided only one gift per family member. So I only have two to shop for…easy peasy and one is already done. Also I tried to focus our advent activities around random acts of kindness not just fun. I couldn’t get everything we did on camera but below are some pictures of week one. Here’s a list of what they are and links for ideas! 🙂
- Get out the Jesse tree and start advent/Jesse tree devotions. We read these each night and lit the first candle which reminds us that Christ is King. Purple for royalty :).
- Watch Frosty the Snowman and drink hot chocolate. (no pics 😦 )Also fixed the advent wreathe. Our Advent devo. had a neat activity where the guys tried to keep a balloon between them while moving. They had to stay close to keep the balloon from falling. It related to us staying close to God since we need His help. Pic bottom right.
- Build a shoe box online with Si Robertson for Operation Christmas child. Also donate to World Vision in someones honor. Michael helped me pick how to donate and then WV sent cards to our family members we honored. There are so many options: donating nativity animals, helping the hungry, protecting girls from slavery. Seriously there is a world of good that can be done. http://www.samaritanspurse.org/operation-christmas-child/pack-a-shoebox-with-uncle-si/ and http://www.worldvision.org/
- Make gingerbread cookies, have a gingerbread man hunt, and decorate the window with gingerbread clings. Pics on the left. We also watched the Gingerbread man. http://www.pinterest.com/doverette/christmas-units/
- Decorate Chris’ office tree and give out gingerbread cookies to his fellow employees. (bottom right)
- Send Christmas cards to heroes (soldiers) through Red Cross. We actually did this earlier. It’s too late to send them now but maybe you can do this next year. Pic of Michael on the left. http://www.redcross.org/support/get-involved/holiday-mail-for-heroes Our friends came over for dinner. We ate gingerbread cookies and Michael played Noel for them. Pic in the middle. The best thing was feeling my BFF’s tummy and the lil one rolling around inside.
- Read A Christmas Carol and see the play at the opera house. Pics on the left. We actually read the book the week before Thanksgiving. We dressed up fancy (pic to the left of title). I was able to get a picture of the carolers (actors) and the theater. It was a marvelous production.
You’ll probably have to click on the picture to see it well.
Even more Advent ideas here: http://www.pinterest.com/doverette/christmas-traditions/
The cookie mix I use each year is here: http://www.dominosugar.com/cookiestarter/
The gingerbread man hunt was a fun addition. You take the cookie out of the oven and leave a note as if he ran away. Each note has a clue to the next spot but lo and behold the critter has out ran you again! Then the last clue leads to the oven and he’s “magically” back in the pan. I love the look on Michael’s face. We know it’s just make believe but what fun :).
We’ve seen The Nutcracker ballet each year but we might not be able to see it this one. I’ve gotta say…I like A Christmas Carol better. The animated movie with Jim Carey freaked Michael out but only one scene bothered him in the play. The scene with the ghost of Christmases yet to come is always a bit unsettling. I wish I had a picture of that ghost to show you. They were really creative. I hope Michael and I will have special Christmas dates even when he’s an adult.
Well, more advent activities next time. There are so many neat ideas I can’t wait to share. I’m too impatient. Here’s our list for you to download and get a sneak peek before I post them ;).
God bless & remember the High King lives! ~Amber Dover
Advent Week 2~ https://amberdover.wordpress.com/2013/12/24/advent-week-2/
Advent Week 3: https://amberdover.wordpress.com/2013/12/24/advent-week-3/
Advent Week 4: https://amberdover.wordpress.com/2014/01/01/advent-week-4/