In this post: Statue of Liberty crafts and an experiment Edison would be proud of.
Hello dear ones! This is how we learned during week 5 of the 1800’s:
The Statue of Liberty
- Michael put together a Statue of Liberty lapbook.
- We read about the Statue of Liberty in Story of the World book 4.
- Michael did a splatter paint Statue of Liberty craft, using a silhouette.
- Michael drew a picture of it, using his Draw Through History book.
- Michael watched a video on the making of the Statue of Liberty.
- Michael read “Out of Darkness” about Louis Braille. Then he drew his name in Braille.
- We read about Samuel Morse, Vincent Van Gogh, and Alexander Grahm Bell.
- Michael read about Thomas Edison and the light bulb.
- Chris and Michael made a homemade lightbulb using a mason jar, wire, batteries, and pencil lead. It was such a cool experiment! The diy video is on my Pinterest link.
- We read about steam engines and other inventions in Story of the World.
- We read stories about trains and Michael drew one from his Draw Through History book.
- Michael did a composer study on Brahms.
- We read poems by Emily Dickinson and Ralph Waldo Emerson.
The 1800’s on Pinterest:
The 1800’s Week 4: https://amberdover.wordpress.com/2014/07/21/the-1800s-week-4-the-civil-war-queen-victoria/
The 1800’s Week 6 (last one): https://amberdover.wordpress.com/2014/07/21/the-1800s-week-6-heading-west-the-final-week/
God bless & remember the High King lives! ~Amber Dover